Yesterday, Matthew Wheeland wrote a great article on Power PC Management in GreenBiz.com called, 10 Things to Know About PC Power Management. In it he lays out ten things that all IT managers should know. While we at JouleX do not believe that all PC Power Management solutions are the same, Matthew makes some excellent points. Here is is list of ten:
For larger companies, the savings are immense when a PC Power Management solution is deployed. JouleX takes this a step further by managing the power of not just PCs but also all of the devices and systems connected to the corporate network.
- Screen savers are not power management.
- PC power management can save you big money.
- Installing a power management system can be free. Although it sounds too good to be true, there are a number of rebate programs available -- mostly through utility companies -- that will earn you a set amount of money for each PC you install power management software on.
- PC power management starts saving money right away.
- There are many different vendors.
- PC power management is a "set it and forget it" project.
- Power management works without disturbing end users.
- Start small, then move big.
- Executive support is critical to successful PC power management.
- You can do it yourself, but there's a catch. Every operating system comes with energy management tools pre-installed -- although only recently have they been shipped with those controls activated.
Thank you for taking the time to visit the JouleX IT Blog. We hope you'll join us on Facebook or Twitter and subscribe to our RSS Feed! We look forward to joining you in the Green IT conversation!